Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

anti-social

yet again, I have affirmed my need to be anti-social.  I've gotten better at handling crowds and close encounters of the human kind.  Somehow I still get overwelmed when confrontation rears its face.  A Nelnet automated phone call keeps asking for my social security number to give me very important information.  I called the number back to ask them to stop calling.  After much aggrivation and sputtering on my part the guy finally hung up on me. 
  I guess I may have been being a jerk, but damn it,  the man said they had a 'right' to keep calling me no matter what, and since I would not give him my personal information to confirm who I was, they were going to keep calling.
  Really?!   All I want is to get the stuff in the mail.  My phone is not a public line for them to use as they please.  I pay for that service, and they shouldn't have a right to call it as much as they want.  Who really knows if they are from Nelnet?  What if they are some foriegn based call center there to collect social security numbers and then invade my life and my finances?   How can I be sure?  ... but yet, as the man said, they have a right to call my number until I confirm my identity and ask them to stop. 
   So what if I wasn't Nellie Tobey?  What if I had moved, and someone gleaned my social security number from the mail?  The person could then access all my information with that one automated phone call.  I know it's kinda silly and paranoid.  Still. 
  I should be able to choose how my student loan company harrasses me.  I should be able to ask nicely and have them stop.  It's my phone number, and I pay for it.   Bah. 
   I tried working on that sci-fi at work today, but realized it's a hopeless cause and the whole story needs to be re-written. 
   Why can't people be more like dogs?  They're mad, they growl.  They're hurt, they whimper.  They love you, they greet you and cover you in slober every day... well maybe not that last part. 
   It is clear, it is apparent and it is not deceptive.  There is very little confusion to be had. 
Eh thats it for the night, I want to climb under my covers and forget how terrible people can be.   And I guess, even though I don't know his name, I should appologize to that Nelnet guy.  It was his job regardless of how upset I was.  Not his fault my phone has been blown up by barely english marketers trying to get my personal information for a free $200 Walmart gift card.

No comments:

Post a Comment