Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

BPD love



Here's another shot at explaining some more Borderline Personality stuff (for lack of a better word).

I just got off the phone with my boyfriend (who I've already broken up with twice for logical good reasons). Logical good reasons in Borderline relationships are actually hard to come by, so it's worth note.
Although I've come far in the field of close personal relationships, lovey dovey romantic bullshit still creeeeeps me out. I can't even watch non-comedic romances, cause I just want to spit at the screen and yell 'LIAR!'. So for those out there suffering the effects of those like me in their lives, or those afflicted with the strong desire to run from anything that looks like it could invade the heart, here's my unsolicited, uneducated, and certainly less then professional advice.

When the man or woman of your life is afraid of commitment, or afraid of the 'L' word, or if they just plain rollercoaster like a confused meteorite about their feelings, you have to make some decisions. Are you along for the ride, or are you gonna jump ship as soon as it looks like a crash? Is this person worth finishing the ride with? Even if you don't know how long the ride will last, or how much it might make your heart bungy between your guts and your throat?
We don't do this because we want to folks. It is a most painful experience to ride on the extremes of love and hate for so long. It is not a choice, but it is a learned response to anything that can devastate us. If the sky falls down every time you look up, pretty soon you either stop looking up, or you start putting a barrier up so that it can't fall when you look. Now I'm not saying that in logical reasonable circumstances a person shouldn't break a relationship off before it gets to ugly, but I am saying that sometimes we avoid that which is good for us just because the risk of getting hurt overrides our ability to accept that which can make us truly happy.
I have destroyed plenty enough relationships to know, and I have had a couple people who actually rode the whole way with me and never let go of me until the ride was over. They are the most treasured in my life, because they will never pull the sky down on me, and I know this because they put themselves in the way of my shrapnel many times.
Only a BPD can heal themselves, and it can be a lonely and terrifying experience, but if you can make it off the deck with some seats still filled, if you can stick by your BPD the whole way, there is a treasure waiting. A person who always rides the extremes of emotion, has a lot to give to a world who has washed away what it really means to be 'in love' with another person.

Eh, it makes sense in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment